Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Banging the drum

Editor Kevin Wilmot writes:

Found a couple of hours for a walk Saturday afternoon along my local River Nene at Wansford, Cambs. Little about apart from one large and impressive winter flock containing tits, finches, lots of Redwings and other thrushes, and one Great Spotted Woodpecker. I watched enthralled as the woodpecker alighted on a tree some 20 metres away and proceeded to drum away in bursts for several minutes before flying off.

It was the first time I had ever actually seen a woodpecker drumming and I was impressed by the sound and power produced by one fairly small bird.

Other highlight was several Mistle Thrushes - probably seven or eight individuals throughout the walk.

The RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch on Saturday morning produced a grand total of nine birds in my parents' well-fed garden, a lovely cup of coffee, and six biscuits.

No comments: